Friday, September 11, 2009

A Raise - or Not

As I'd mentioned previously, my husband won't be getting a raise for the upcoming year. We were originally hoping that the salary freeze was temporary, perhaps only a few months - but we found out that it will stay in place for an entire year. 

Unfortunately, we also just received notice that only a nominal raise is anticipated for next year, probably around 1%. I guess I shouldn't complain much, since it's better than nothing, but 1% seems like such a tiny amount. Increases in the cost of living due to inflation are surely going to outpace that! 

Unless we can free up more money by paying off debt, we're going to have to make some big decisions about our budget. Best case scenario, it'll take us at least 4 years to pay off the credit cards, auto loans, and student loans. But we'd like to buy a bigger home, and start a family - both things that will divert a significant amount of money from our debt snowball. 

Sometimes it feels like all this debt is never going to be gone.

1 comment:

  1. I am so with you - I too feel like it will never be gone...

    1% is better then nothing. Dh hasn't had a raise in about 4 years now & was recently told that their little 'bonuses' (ie $500 christmas bonus) and some of their paid days off were now gone... I know that I am still very thankful that he still has a job...

    Things have to get better, right? Good luck

    ReplyDelete