Thursday, September 3, 2009

Pay cuts?

One of the union's at my husband's employer is currently under contract negotiations. They're arguing over a variety of issues, with insurance and salaries being some of the major items. The employer wants to freeze wages, and the unions of course are protesting.

It's very frustrating because my husband isn't a union employee, and has already had his wages frozen indefinitely. And right now, I'm grateful that we both still have jobs, and that we haven't been forced to take any pay cuts... but if the union is able to secure a raise for its members, it sort of makes me want our jobs to become unionized. I don't really like most labor unions nowadays, but it sucks if union members get a raise and nobody else does.

The worst part is that if they get a raise, then the employer will likely be forced to lay off other non-union employees, and/or to enact pay cuts for non-union employees, just to meet their operating budget. And THAT would really suck.

I think, at least given his current position, a layoff is pretty unlikely. I'm not sure whether we should be anticipating a paycut, when it would happen, or how much it would be... which makes it rather tough to plan and budget for!

No comments:

Post a Comment