Monday, September 14, 2009

Planning Ahead

I try to create a rough budget ahead about a year out for non-ordinary expenses, and about two years out for other major interruptions to cash-flow. 

Right now I'm hoping to completely remodel the kitchen next summer, and hopefully take care another big outdoor project. We'd also like to take a weeklong vacation, where we can stay at decent hotels and eat at nice restaurants and not worry about sticking to a meager budget. And of course there are a couple weddings that I'm in, which will require me to host or help host bridal showers and bachelorette parties. 

Initially I figured that we could afford to tackle both renovation projects, saving and paying cash as we go. With the vacation, the weddings, and a few other expenditures in the works, I don't think we'll be able to save enough to cash-flow it. 

I can't believe I'm writing this, but I'm already thinking about going ahead with both projects anyways and just putting it on the credit card. My card will be paid off completely by then, and Husband's card will probably be in the $6-8k range. We'd probably be able to save enough to pay off whatever was charged by early 2011 (six months or so later), so the interest accrued wouldn't be too bad. 

I want these projects to be complete, and I hate to delay them until the following summer (two years from now). We've talked about changing jobs and moving elsewhere, and having these projects complete would make it much easier to sell the house. We've also talked about starting a family, and I would want these things to be done before then. 

1 comment:

  1. you have to do what is best for your family. good luck in making that decision

    ReplyDelete