Tuesday, August 4, 2009

College Costs

I've decided to quit grad school, for a variety of personal reasons. I feel a bit disappointed, but I think it's the best decision overall. Financially, not having to worry about two of us in college at the same time will be a huge relief. 

I had set aside $2000 for fall tuition, which would have been due mid-August. I've already paid $1100 of that straight to one of the credit cards, and plan to add the remaining $900 to this month's payment. 

For some reason, I hadn't thought about budgeting for tuition hikes (the fiscal year for most public universities changes on July 1st, with tuition increases being finalized at some point during the summer). The actual percent increase was just announced, and would have amounted to $120 extra for the upcoming term. Mid-year tuition increases are also possible, so the December tuition bill may have been even more. 

I knew I'd have to buy books, but I didn't budget that in either. Afterall, it's a nominal amount (at least, compared to the cost of tuition!)... and I figured I could pick up a used book online. Turns out that textbooks and course materials would have been about $150. 

I'd also have to increase the amount that I budget for gas, to cover the additional expense for commuting to class. At current gas prices (about $2.50/gal), that would be an increase of $60/mo. Plus the "cost" of wear & tear on my vehicle, of additional maintenance (oil changes, tires, etc). And our food budget would have to increase, because I won't have time to shop for all the best deals, and we'll undoubtedly end up buying more convenience foods or eating out. 


No comments:

Post a Comment