Friday, January 1, 2010

New TV

Yesterday evening, while we were out for a nice New Years Eve dinner, I mentioned to my husband that I would be okay buying a new big-screen TV immediately if it were under $1000.

We've been talking about replacing our 42" flat-panel plasma TV (which is four years old, and doesn't have high-def), but the TVs that he'd been looking at were all 55" and with prices around $1700. I'm not quite ready to spend that much money yet, and I had wanted to be able to pay for it immediately (with cash).

Ideally I'd wait another couple years, until all of our credit cards are completely paid off - but Hubby doesn't quite share my enthusiasm & intensity towards becoming debt-free. I can convince him to delay major purchases, but have to carefully weigh that against the very-real possibility of him just going out and buying what he wants using "his" credit cards. Realistically, I could have postponed the purchase until the second half of 2010.

After dinner, we went out for a short shopping trip. He found an acceptable 46" LCD-TV (with decent reviews) for $899, so we decided to go ahead and buy it. Including an HDMI cable and sales tax, the total was just under my magical $1000 limit.

The entire purchase went on my daily-use credit card (which I typically pay off at the end of every month), and will be paid off sometime this month. My other credit card (currently with a balance of $4000) will be paid off a bit slower... perhaps in March now?

No comments:

Post a Comment