Friday, January 15, 2010

Extra Money

Lately I've been inspired to try and earn a little extra money. Our side business (which only takes in a couple thousand each year) has been slow, and there haven't been any promising leads for the upcoming months. Hubby's contract jobs are also all over, and he's been wanting a break so that he can spend more time relaxing.

We don't have a lot of junk laying around, so I can't really do a garage sale or sell much on Craigslist... and I don't want to be tied down to a set schedule at another job making minimum wage... and I can't take on any freelance work myself... so I've spent hours pondering what I might like to do. I was originally thinking of making handmade goods and selling them on Etsy, but now I'm leaning towards resale.

I've been reading books and listening to podcasts about it, and there's definitely the opportunity to make some extra money picking up used things and reselling them. It's time-consuming, and there's a bit of a learning curve with figuring out what to buy that could be resold with a reasonable profit margin (especially after buying packaging materials and shipping), but it's completely flexible. I wouldn't be able to even come close to replacing my current income, but I could at least earn a little extra to pay for a vacation or something.

I'm thinking, best case, I might be able to net $5000 this year. Anyone else have experience with this sort of thing?

1 comment:

  1. good for you - I have tried to do something like that, but I just don't have the right eye for things...

    ReplyDelete