Sunday, October 25, 2009

Trying to Make More Money

I've been tossing around a few ideas to earn some extra money. While working overtime at my job is the easiest (and probably the most profitable & least risky) way, it's rather unreliable. My bosses generally dictate whether I'm allowed to work overtime or not, and that's based on company workload. 

A few retail stores around here are actually starting to post for seasonal jobs, for the upcoming holiday season, but it really doesn't seem worthwhile. If I can even find somewhere to hire me (which is a big if, since I already have a full-time job with set hours), I'd have to give up my nights and/or weekends for probably $8/hour. My overtime pay is more than triple that! 

So I'd really like something more flexible, that I can just pick up and work on whenever I feel like it - so that if overtime is available, I won't have to turn it down to "get to my other job" (and when overtime is mandatory, I won't have to worry about getting fired from my other job!). 

I have a few hobbies that I'd like to take to the next level, and perhaps start turning them into a small Etsy shop. I enjoy working with textiles (yarn, thread, fabric) - but I'd have to put more effort into making things that would have more mass-appeal (more neutral colors & patterns). I also love photography, and have some ideas to start selling some specialized/custom items. 

Maybe this afternoon I'll have to put some time into business-development, and see if any of these ideas could actually be feasible (and profitable!)

No comments:

Post a Comment