Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I've Been Avoiding this Blog

It's been a rough few weeks, our spending has been pretty high and we also found out that our income tax bill will likely be even more than I'd previously thought.

We bought most of the supplies to finish out our current remodeling project, and that was $1300.

I found out that some professional expenses ($470) isn't going to get reimbursed by my employer. Unfortunately, I was already told by my supervisor that it would be covered, so we spent the money we had set aside for this (and a bit extra!) and used it to splurge on a big-screen TV. Had I known at the time that the company would take back their word, we would not have spent the money.

Another $265 in professional fees won't be reimbursed until late summer, but I had to front it last month. I'm slightly annoyed at having been told that other things will be reimbursed/taken care of, only to have someone at a higher level reverse that decision (unfortunately, it's happened a few times since I've been at the company), but at this point I'm still pretty sure that this will eventually get reimbursed (unless I get laid off first).

Because of these three things, the credit card that I use for regular monthly expenses/spending (and try to pay off each month) has a balance of around $2600 right now, FAR more than I'd like it to be. And I won't be able to pay off much over the next few months, because:

We will owe roughly $1300 to the IRS, as it appears that our tax withholdings were screwed up when the "Making Work Pay" tax credit went into effect last spring. We're still not quite sure how this happened, because I declare "0" exemptions on my W-2 & Hubby declares "1" on his, but somehow BOTH employers reduced withholdings by the full amount for a married couple. I think we'll end up getting $400-500 back from the State, but the net total is that we'll end up owing a lot of money. Have I mentioned before that situations like this are why I disagree with Dave Ramsey and think a $1000 baby emergency fund is not nearly enough?

Our semiannual car insurance payment is due in April, and will likely be $800-900. We actually have two separate policies that renew within a couple weeks of each other. We probably should set aside $150/mo so that we have the full amount when the bills come, but instead we've always just chosen to cash-flow it. Instead of paying extra to our credit cards, we just shift the money to the bills instead.

1 comment:

  1. yuck - I hate when things go differently then what you expect. It seems like you have a plan to help you get through it though, that is a good thing. We ended up owing on our state taxes this year - total bummer...

    keep your head up

    ReplyDelete