Monday, June 22, 2009

Financial Goals for 2009

I like to project out estimated expenses & income, and figure out where we'll be at various points in the future. I usually just do the rough calculations on a sheet of scratch paper, or on the back of a napkin, and don't often keep 'em or track how that compares to reality. 

The last time that I set written financial goals was in October 2008, and that's when I established the following list of "goals" that I hoped to achieve by the end of 2009: 
  1. Contribute $200/month to emergency fund 
  2. Achieve balance of $5000 in emergency fund by end of 2009 (current balance = $1900) 
  3. Eliminate credit card debt by end of 2009 (current balance = $12590)
  4. Pay off Perkins student loan (current balance = $1626)
  5. Pay down Stafford student loan to <$25k (current balance = $25502)
Right now it's hard to say whether I'll be able to accomplish all of them. I still think it's possible, but it's going to be a bit tougher than I'd originally anticipated. We had a critical home repair in January that cost $1700, and was paid for using the emergency fund. My decision to go back to school (made after I wrote those goals) will also set us back by about $2500 this year (for tuition, textbooks & fees). 

Because of the economic climate, I've been contributing far more than $200/mo into the emergency fund, so that the current balance is already over $5000. I've also already taken care of #5 (just barely!). 

I'll definitely be able to pay off the credit card debt referenced in #3, but I'll possibly have to make a decision whether to wipe out the emergency fund to do so. Hopefully I'll be able to earn some extra money working overtime, and my company will give a holiday bonus at the end of the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment